Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Help identifying this bug please

What bug?
What bug?  
Please could you help me identify this bug as I'm going crazy now I've found about 5 in the last 10 days and normally at night in my bedroom. I've been paranoid about bed bugs after numerous Google searches but they look round and flat and all the bugs I've found have been identical to the image attached . I'm in the uk and the bugs have all been around 5mm in length.

Thanks for including the image with your question.

All I can tell you is that it is a beetle of some kind, NOT a bed bug.  I am only vaguely familiar with the insect fauna of the UK and Europe, so I cannot say anything futher.

I do *suspect* it could be one of the "flour beetles" in the genus Tribolium , and I would inspect your pantry for products that might be infested, including dry pet food.

You may also want to take intact specimens to a local entomologist at a museum of natural history, university, nature center, or your equivalent of the public health department.  He or she could then put the creature under a microscope and render a more precise verdict than I can over the internet.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.