Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect identification

Picture 1
Picture 1  

Bug 2
Bug 2  
I have 2 pictures for you.  I'm not sure if they are 2 different insects or if they are the same.  The back story is that something is eating me alive in my home in Central NH.  2 Drs have been unable to identify the very itchy bits which cover my arms, and Terminix has failed to locate any infestation.  I found these 2 as I completed my daily inspection and cleaning.  I thought the second one was dead until the camera flash went off.  It appears to be injured as it was unable to walk and kept falling on its back.

Dear Jt - Neither of these critters would be responsible for your discomfort. The first image is too blurry for me to be certain, but it most likely is a net-winged beetle (family Lyctidae); there also are some fireflies (family Lampyridae) that can have a quite similar appearance. The second one is a weevil (family Curculionidae); this is a huge family comprising tens of thousands of species, but all are plant feeders of different sorts.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.