Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of bug is this

Hi, we have been getting this bug in our shower skylight for the past few weeks and I can't seem to find out what it is. Would you happen to know what type of bug it is. I'm guessing it's a type of beetle but I can't locate a picture anywhere that matches what this one looks like.

Thank you for any information you can provide,

Dear Steve - This is a leaf beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae0 in the subfamily Bruchinae. Often called pea or bean weevils, the larvae of many species infest various dry seeds, primarily those of plants in the legume family. You might try inspecting all areas where you may have whole seeds of any kind (including bird seed) stored for signs of infestation, and discard/destroy any found to be so. See for an image of typical damage.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.