Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Re: What is this bug please?

Unknown Bug
Unknown Bug  
Hi Ed,

I am located in UK, England, Harwich, Essex.

Please would you kindly consider helping me identify the bug in the photo? We have come across 5 of these bugs in the last 6 days. The first one found on my wardrobe door - the next appeared on the bathroom net curtain. Two days ago, we found another walking across a bed in another room and to our horror somehow another in that same bed less than 20 minutes later. As you can imagine it's proven to be quite alarmingly as we have never seen one or these before in our life - let alone five of these in quick succession. It's a worry in case they are either dangerous or can lay hundreds of eggs resulting in eventually thousands. I don't know if itís a coincidence or not, but a person in my household got bitten twice on the arm in the night a week ago and whatever it were pierced the skin to draw blood. She often gets bitten by gnats due to having a rare blood group though it never pierces the skin like it did on this occasion. I could be over-worrying here for nothing although we did come across a Black Widow Spider in our shed in last month meaning anything is possible given this heatwave and hotter weather.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hope to speak soon.

Dear Christopher - You needn't worry about this chap, it's a western conifer seed bug, Leptoglossus occidentalus (Hemiptera/Heteroptera: Coreidae), a fairly recent introduction from North America. They do not bite, and although they often enter buildings in an apparent search for shelter, they cause no harm there, but usually are considered nuisance pests. See for more detailed information.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.