Entomology (Study of Bugs)/smallest ant/insect

Question
I have recently noticed very small, like the size of a piece of black pepper, insect/ant on my kitchen floor by my sliding glass door which leads to our backyard.  I live in a suburb of Chicago (Justice IL).  Ive never seen them in my house on the floor before.  You have to get on your hands and knees to even notice them.  I have sprayed with Raid ant spray and most of them are gone but some are still around.  They are the smallest insect Ive ever seen.  Do you know what they are?  Where do they come from?  How do I get rid of them?  When I smash them they leave a yellowish green mark on the white floor.

Answer
Hi Stacy:
I am afraid that I cannot identify them without seeing them as there are quite a lot of possibilities.  Are they in a specific room like a bathroom.  Use a spray with pyrethrum and keep wiping them up.  Insects have population cycles so they will most likely disappear.  I am sur ethe pose no danger.
 If you wish to pick some upon a piece of scotch tape and mail it to me I will examine them under a scope.
 My address is
walter hintz
29675 arthur ave
wickliffe. ohio 44092

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz