Environmental Engineering/PROJECT TOPIC

Question
Sir, I'm a civil engineering student of Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB) in his final year. I want to specialize in the area of water/environmental part of civil engineering sir but at the moment I need a project topic in civil engineering related to water and structures which is cost effective. I gladly will appreciate your response sir as soon as possible.

Answer
Dear Adedeji,

I think it time that I repeat what I  often tell students at this point in life of their careers.

in short, write down what your idea of future professional life is that you want and then make your decisions based on this writing. don't waste that paper, read it periodically every year to see how close you are to your ideas and what you may want at that future point in life.  

Be clear as to what you want verses your perceived wants e.g. want a project idea that you may want to spend your life in that area or just to pass the university exams? no point in leading yourself to belief in something your heart is not into. hope you understand.

Education is there to inculcate understanding, analytical skills, awareness. I started my engineering education just to get a degree, big job, and then proceed to a good life only to realize in my final year that it was not a good course of action. Learn from other people's experience or proceed to learn from your own.

For your project, look around. ask you teacher what the current issues in your region are, what are the hot topics in the newspaper of your area. working on such projects will be beneficial for the community and will help you in your final year project. You may usually be able to find funding / grants / CSR / sponsorship / community participation for such projects. It will be an entirely something new, which is not taught at university and probably a chance to experience Project Manager's roles, responsibilities, liabilities and accountabilities.

Good luck and write back to discuss for any environmental issues.
Tufail Ali
http://www.SPMCpk.com/

Environmental Engineering

Tufail Ali Zubedi