Environmental Engineering/Impact Event and Recovery

Question
Hello Mr. Zubedi,

I'm a writer working on research for my novel and I have a few questions about repairing the Earth after an asteroid impact. I don't need too much information on the actual impact itself - I know that the area in which my story takes place would have significant damage, including temperature fluctuation, increased UV radiation, acid rain, global dimming, etc., similar to what would happen if the asteroid Apophis were to collide with Earth - in other words, full scale destruction and extreme atmosphere changes that would make living on the surface basically impossible. So my questions are these:

1. Could you elaborate a little more on exactly what kinds of environmental changes would occur in the event of an asteroid impact?

2. The Earth can somewhat repair itself on its own given time, but what can humans do to speed along the matter, if anything?

3. More specifically, can you list the best methods to help fix environmental issues in the safest way possible?

4. In contrast, are there methods that would improve the conditions of Earth and the environment in the short term, but have the potential to do damage in the long run (say, if someone was looking for "instant gratification" in terms of recovery)? You can use theoretical methods as well as proven ones, as the novel is set slightly in the future and some technologies may be more available.

I apologize if the question is vague or confusing, and I appreciate all the help you can give me!

Thanks,
Rachel

Answer
Hello Rachel,

Quote
"significant damage, including temperature fluctuation, increased UV radiation, acid rain, global dimming, etc., similar to what would happen if the asteroid Apophis were to collide with Earth - in other words, full scale destruction and extreme atmosphere changes that would make living on the surface basically impossible."
UnQuote

Breakup the astroid and scatter it so that its concentration at a certain area would dilute. but why do you only consider that it will adversely affect the earth and its population. Maybe it comes with a certain mineral that unknown to human before that could act as  clean fuel, hold a secret to uncurable diseases etc in the longer run.

Bury the astroid into a volcano like mount kilimanjaro.

If you mean the it rejuvenates Youth, it maybe but since you are author, you can mould the story as you think and like. after all it is a sci-fi novel.

Good luck with writing the novel and just to request you that if there is a scientist in you novel who comes up with the above given idea to offset the affect, name him as Tufail Ali Zubedi ;-)

Best Regards
Tufail Ali Zubedi
http://www.SPMCpk.com/  

Environmental Engineering

Tufail Ali Zubedi