Environmental Science/Building a resume to land a job as an Environmental Geologist

Hello David,
I am a Geologist with approximately 4 years of combined experience in economic and petroleum geology.  I also have a background in construction.  I am now focused an a career in environmental Geology. However, I have no direct experience with environmental and I am not having success at finding a job with a consulting firm.  I am trying to strengthen my resume and improve my chances.  I am considering taking an environmental sampling and a groundwater monitoring course online,  but they are very expensive ($1800 ea.)and I am don't want to waste money.   Practically all of the jobs I am applying to desire a candidate with sampling and well monitoring experience and I have none.  I am just not sure whether or not employers would place value in my having taken these classes. Do you think that it would be worth my time and money to take these courses? They are offered by Nielsen Environmental.

Thank you

There are a couple of things you need to do.
1. get a copy of SW 846 and read the chapter on sampling.  That's a start. That will get you up to speed on the requirements if not the techniques.
2. check with the AIPG regarding courses in your field on environmental sampling.
3. I don't know if you have had the 40 hour Hazwoper case, but you will need it.  It should cost only a few hundred dollars, but when you don't have it, it's an impediment to hiring because you need it if you are ever to go out on an hazardous waste site.  AIPG can probably suggest local institutes which have the course.
4.  If you want to get up to speed on sampling, go to an equipment supplier, as they have to be current with their product line.
5.  What about government? The EPA or other organizaitons, including Interior, and the State governments always have openings and the initial salary tends to be lower, but the benefits and pension are great.

good luck

Environmental Science

David L. Russell, PE

I`m a Chemical,Civil and Environmental Engineer and have a number of projects in all phases of the environment. I have worked in the chemical industry and am active in professional societies, and am currently on an industrial wastes committee for the Water Environment Federation, and have taught courses in remediation in the US and abroad. I have written one book on Remediation of petroleum Contaminated Sites, and have a second book on PRACTICAL WASTEWATER TREATMENT to be published by John Wiley in September, 2006. I've also written over 30 articles on various elements of environmental problems and cleanup. Most Recently, I have addressed a NATO Scientific and Techical Conference on Ecoterrorism, and have worked with the same group on remediation of sites contaminated with Chemical Warfare Agent materials and othe materials as well. . I can answer q`s about Chemical and Environmental Engineering, land development, air pollution, water pollution, soil and water cleanup, combustion, international environmental problems, industrial processes chemical processes. Civil and Environmental and Chemical Engineering. Overall, I have over 35 years of experience in this area. Note: I do not answer homework questions

I love work in the third world and developing areas because it is challenging and one can get a sense of accomplishment.