Environmental Science/mchm


Hello Dave I just wanted to give you update on my hand. Since your were so helpful with all your information. Will I have been  doing cold laser therapy.  On it It seems to be helping I'm going to  chiropracter . It seems like the swelling and  the lump is not as hard And not as red  And not as much pain  He  talks  like it improving .But I had someone tell me today That they were effected by the water And she been seeing a doctor That does Chelation She said that would take the toxions Out of my body Since it got into my tissue She said the cold laser help But i need to get toxins out That is my question to you If you know anything about this  Or think i should check into it  I think that laser helping And  where i  couldn't  pour water on the blister at the time my blood vessel swelled I don't know if there are  are toxins in my blood stream sine I contact with the chemical  Thank you Carolyn

Hi Carolyn:
About the only thing that I could suggest is that you might want to contact your local Culligan Man and have them install a carbon filter on your household water system.  They will come back and change it every few months, but it should take out the contaminants in the water.
I'm not versed enough in medicine to know about chelation therapy, but as I understand, it is used to remove metal contaminants from the blood.  However, I don't think that's what you have, and as I recall, your problem was with the organics the company spilled into the water.
You might also want to go to your doctor and ask about having them do a metals test on your blood to see if there are any unusual contaminants.
I would also look up the web address of the Mayo Clinic, or a good University Hospital in Pittsburgh (I believe that they are reasonably close to you). I would want to talk to a specialist who deals with industrial practice, and start an e-mail exchange with him or her.
You might also want to contact the State Health Department and get a sample bottle for water, fill it, and send it off to them for analysis, describing your symptoms.  Generally the State will take on the special interests and provide you with a report on contamination.  Alternatively, you can contact Dr. Rakish Gupta at the Chemical Engineering Department of WVU in Morgantown, and ask if they can have one of their graduate students run a GC/MS analysis on a sample of your water. If it turns up something,  we can talk further.
Sorry, but that's the best advice I can give.  

Environmental Science

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David L. Russell, PE


I`m a Chemical,Civil and Environmental Engineer and have a number of projects in all phases of the environment. I have worked in the chemical industry and am active in professional societies, and am currently on an industrial wastes committee for the Water Environment Federation, and have taught courses in remediation in the US and abroad. I have written one book on Remediation of petroleum Contaminated Sites, and have a second book on PRACTICAL WASTEWATER TREATMENT to be published by John Wiley in September, 2006. I've also written over 30 articles on various elements of environmental problems and cleanup. Most Recently, I have addressed a NATO Scientific and Techical Conference on Ecoterrorism, and have worked with the same group on remediation of sites contaminated with Chemical Warfare Agent materials and othe materials as well. . I can answer q`s about Chemical and Environmental Engineering, land development, air pollution, water pollution, soil and water cleanup, combustion, international environmental problems, industrial processes chemical processes. Civil and Environmental and Chemical Engineering. Overall, I have over 35 years of experience in this area. Note: I do not answer homework questions


I love work in the third world and developing areas because it is challenging and one can get a sense of accomplishment.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]