Epilepsy/epilepsy gone?

QUESTION: Hi. I need to know if its actually possible epilepsy can go away on its own.I had it since I was 10 and now I'm 26. Would it be possible to grow out of it? I haven't had a seizure since 2007 and are there cases of something like happening without surgery?

ANSWER: Good Morning Shari,
What a good Question.
In order to answer that question I need to know two things.
What type of epilepsy do you  have?
Are you still on medication?
Without knowing these things it is impossible to make a good guess.
That said, however, there are  types which will recede as one grows older.
Best of luck Shari,

QUESTION: Hello again. I'm not entirely sure what I have. My doctor said I have 2 different kinds. When I have a seizure I blank out at any random time. I don't have a warning. I have it for about 15 seconds. I wake up with a horrible migraine, I throw up, I loose feeling in my legs, I don't always bite my tongue. I cry and I don't want to be touched. I only urinated once. I have been taking lamictal and depakote for a few years. That's all :)

If I understand correctly, you have not had an event in 6 years.

If you want to know if you are now seizure-free, you should have a 24 hour video/ EEG monitoring which runs for a few days, and your medications can be tapered while you have this test.
The testing will monitor your brain wave activity for 24 hours per day for a few days while they taper your medication.  The results will tell the physicians if you are now seizure free without medication.
They will then be better able to say if you will be ok without medication.
This should be done in a hospital because it may be dangerous to reduce meds without observation.

Good luck to you,

Sophia, R.N., M.S.

Almost any questions pertaining to epilepsy, seizures, pseudo-seizures, testing for epilepsy, medications, surgery. Self-care, appropriate emergency measures, medication side-effects, drug interactions etc.

Working as an epilepsy nurse clinican in a large comprehensive epilepsy center for 15 years. Previous employment with a major pharmaceutical company working in pharmaceutical research. Before that - varied experience in nursing.