Epilepsy/seizures in 2 yr old

Question
Hi Sophia,  I have a two year old daughter who has now had 13 episodes/seizures. The first one was when she was around a yr old. Typically she will go pale with a vacant look, sometimes whilst still walking  and then suddenly go floppy and drop to the ground, her eyes roll and she becomes unresponsive, during some of these episodes she has also gone blue in the lips. On one occasion I was washing her face when she had one , but most of the time she will just be playing. Sometimes the first I know about it is when I hear her head bang on the floor.They often last for around 10-15 seconds although 3 have been for about a minute, these are the ones where her lips have turned blue.She can go months with no seizures at all and then have one out of the blue and then maybe another one or two a week or so later and another two weeks after that. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to them and she is not unwell with fever and otherwise developing perfectly normally and very healthy. She had an EEG which was normal and ECG, heart scan and 24 hr trace, all normal. Last week she had another EEG where she was recorded asleep, we are awaiting results. I am so confused as I have read up on epilepsy and the only thing I have read regarding seizures where you go floppy were atonic but it doesn't mention eyes rolling or loosing consiousness or stopping breathing. I am worried that the latest EEG will be normal and we will still not know what is going on. I am concerned that she stops breathing and also that she bangs her head each time, can it be treated if EEG shows normal and can a normal result still be epilepsy, so confused.

Answer
Hi Sharon,
Usually "drop attacks" are caused by atonic seizures but other epilepsies can be associated with this symptom.
If the current EEG is normal, she should be given a 24 hour EEG that runs for 24 hours/day for a few days. If this is done at home, there will be no video record coordinating with it, but if it is done in the hospital, they can do the EEG in conjunction with video so they can record the brain waves and at the same time her body movements. While the test is running the hope is that one of her events will occur.  If she is hospitalized for the testing, they can try to provoke an event so they can visualize and record it and analyze the brain waves.
I know this must be so frustrating for a good Mom like you.
Good luck Sharon, Feel free to ask other questions if I can be of further assistance.
Sophia

Epilepsy

Sophia, R.N., M.S.