Episcopalians/unusable bible

Question
Can you tell me how to properly dispose of an unusable Bible? I was walking for exercise when I fund a Bible (KJV) that had been thrown out by the roadside. After being exposed to the elements, in was unreadable. I could only tell it was a Bible from the book headings. Since I live in the U.S. I was thinking for having friend burn it when he (respectfully) burns flags. Would that be appropriate?

Thanks

Jo

Answer
There's always a reluctance about disposing of holy books, even in tatters. The Church of England has no official guidance. I'd think to dispose with it as is best for the environment - e.g. in the UK most local councils offer paper recycling. Personally, I'd see little difference between burning or putting it in the trash (but if the latter is used to generate energy, that's burning without as much pollution).

Episcopalians

Rev Steve Parish