Episcopalians/breath of life within us

My question revolves around God breathing life into us, as stated in Genesis 2:7.  My interest is the origin of the life in the breath.  As I read and understand it, as is the nature of breathing, God's breath originated from within him somehow,  and when he breathed into us, the breath carried in it the life we now possess. If I am understanding this correctly, can we say that we all somehow possess life that once existed within God?  I'm not asking for an explanation of how God did this, or how God made our life, but rather I am interested in knowledge about the original location of our life before we got it.
Thank you,

As everything originates from God, I'm not sure that a literal understanding of Gen. 2:7 helps. Given the linguistic parallels of spirit/breath (ruach in Hebrew, pneuma in Greek) the link between God's life-giving spirit, and our human existence, is plain, but God doesn't have lungs (he is "without parts or passions") so cannot "breathe" (and obviously does not need to). So I suppose your expression that our life "once existed within God" does follow since no life exists that does not come from God. If God gives life, and the Fall brings death, then redemption in Christ restores life (Colossians 3:3).

Rev Steve Parish

I hope to answer questions on the theology, history, and constitution (there isn`t one!) of the Church of England (but not necessarily on the wider Anglican Communion)

A priest in the Church of England for over 30 years, with some specialist knowledge of the 19th century
I hold a Master's degree in Applied Theology
Church Times; Church of England Newspaper; Lion Encyclopedia of the Bible