Ergonomics/comparison between two areas confusion

Question
hello dear

I m asking about confusion ;

the difference between 1-  human centered engineering design  ans 2- human factor and engineering psychology ?

from where concept also applications

also does the both majors required using some tools like auto desk programs like autocad and other

I have a bachelor degree on communication system engineering , so what can I do to pursue a career on the both major mentioned above noticed that I want to merge my engineering studies theories with psychology and anthropology science ??????????????

please advise

Answer
Hello Ahmed,
At the risk of oversimplifying to two fields, based on what you said was your interests, this is how I would look at it:

Human centered engineering design looks at the task needing to be done, the environment in which those tasks must occur, and the physical limitations of the human machine in order to create or design tools, programs, or devices.  Think of this of designing equipment based on human abilities.

Human factor and engineering psychology focuses on the study of how people interact with machines, tools, programs in order to determine best guidelines for behavior change or reactions. Think of this as doing research (and application) regarding how humans use or perceive things.

For more information: http://www.apa.org/action/science/human-factors/index.aspx, http://humancentereddesign.org/

I look to my other experts online to answer the rest of Ahmed's question about careers.

-- Dr. Naomi Abrams, OTR/L, CEAS
Worksite Health & Safety Consultants, LLC  

Ergonomics

Dr. Naomi Abrams, OTR/L, CEAS