Even if one happens to be agnostic, or perhaps even an atheist, one is able to recognize the dignity of human life and the principle of ‘stewardship’.  How does one argue for this principle without recourse to religion?

One can argue this from multiple standpoints.  One view is that "morality" is based on religious views even if one is agnostic or an atheist.  People do not grow up on a desolate island and encounter family, friends and society that utilize religion as a basis for morality.  Therefore, every person encounters those views during their development.

Another view is that regardless of religion, we still have moral thoughts.  If the main goal of humanity is preservation, doing the right thing pervades so that we can survive in a copacetic manner.  This would be the agnostic or atheistic reason for "doing unto others as you would want them to do unto you" because it helps us all get along with respect and dignity.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

In addition to my law degree, I have a master's degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy involving comparative medical, legal and business ethics. I am an adjunct professor at a medical school teaching ethics to healthcare professionals and graduate students.

I can answer questions dealing with general ethics principles, including legal ethics, medical ethics, bioethics and business ethics. I am not a moralist and do not interject subjective values such as what is morally right and wrong. Also, I do not give legal advice over the internet.

For more information, you can view my webiste at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

I am a licensed attorney, real estate broker and adjunct professor.

Experience in the area
I have been a civil trial attorney since 1989 with a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy involving comparative ethics.

State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in the Arizona District Court
Licensed in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
National Association of Realtors

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate in Philosophy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM