Ethics/Phone Calls

Question
Why do I receive automated phone calls at 0800 almost everyday telling me to "you must call Jack Marshall now". Needless to say we are tired of this. If someone is using your name, I'm certain that you don't approve either. I fit's you please stop.

Answer
Dear David: I have no idea why, and if even you are contacting every one of the estimated 300 or so "Jack Marshalls" in the U.S. to ask them this insulting question, I particularly resent you asking it of ME. Last I checked, "Marshall" was one of the top 50 most common names in the U.S., and Jack is a very common nickname for "John", though not in my case (I'm a real Jack). You think the most likely candidate for mysterious harassing phone calls is a lawyer and nationally recognized ethicist? Good theory. Why not my Dad, Jack Marshall Sr., a decorated WWII hero..maybe he's the one harassing you. Or maybe it's the Jack Marshall who wrote the theme song to "The Munsters," or the poet Jack Marshall. They "use my name" too, because it's also their name. And I use theirs. And none of us can do anything about it.

The bottom line is that your question is disingenuous and unethical, not to mention dumb, and doesn't belong on this site, which is designed to help people and not provide them targets for unprovoked insinuations. Yours is an accusation without any justification or logic behind it: if I am not making the calls, how exactly would I know why you are getting them?

You can send your abject apology to THIS Jack Marshall at jacko@cs.net, and you can learn why making random unfounded accusations is wrong, not to mention annoying, at my ethics commentary website, www.ethicsscoreboard.com. Other than that contact, I don't care to hear from you again, and I'll tell any other Jack Marshalls I meet to avoid you as well.

I hope that answers your question.

Ethics

Jack Marshall