Etymology (Meaning of Words)/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Brecht's quote5/10/2016Carol Pozefsky
  Q: Kindly let me know the real meaning of this quote by Brech that "It is the simplest thing, so hard ...
  A: Good Morning! I hope that you have had a fine week, "It is the simplest thing, so hard to ...
Folly; fall4/21/2016Carol Pozefsky
  Q: Is there any known connection between the origins of the words, "folly" and "fall"? regards, Dan
  A: I hope you're having a fine week, The word 'fall' is an oldie! Barnhart's Dictionary of ...
Words1/18/2016Carol Pozefsky
  Q: What is the difference between assumptions and probabilities?
  A: I hope you're having a fine weekend, Assumptions are beliefs which one presumes to be true; a ...
slang use of word "hoot"1/9/2016Carol Pozefsky
  Q: I'm writing a book set in Germany in 1944. I'd like to have one of my characters say that someone he ...
  A: I hope you're having a fine week, I've checked numerous sources and, as with much etymology, there ...
English12/29/2015Carol Pozefsky
  Q: What is the English word that means " not for the uninitiated " ? Thank you.
  A: I hope that you are having a fine weekend. The literal equivalent of the word "uninitiated" might ...
Letter signed off with following latin words11/27/2015Carol Pozefsky
  Q: What does "fati venit" mean or suppose to imply?
  A: I hope that you are having a fine day. Literally , the Latin phrase 'Fati venit' means 'fate ...
calling inanimate objects "guys"10/27/2015Carol Pozefsky
  Q: Every day over the past few months, I hear so many people refer to inanimate objects with the word ...
  A: I hope that you're having a fine day, To the best of my knowledge, the use of 'guy' in this ...
first use of the word "Partner"3/31/2015Carol Pozefsky
  Q: I understand the etymology of the word partner and have read that its first use was in 1611, but ...
  A: I hope that you're having a wonderful week. The word "partner" came to English from the Latin ...
Latin phrase meaning3/28/2015Carol Pozefsky
  Q: Iv been trying to figure out the true meaning of the Latin Phrase "Tempus neminem Manet".Does that ...
  A: I hope you're having a fine weekend! My specialty is etymology; the origin of English words and ...
origin of "Wow!"11/20/2014Carol Pozefsky
  Q: I was motivated to read the allexperts article on "wow" because I heard this from a Senegalese woman ...
  A: I hope that you're having a fine weekend. Please forgive the delayed response. I've been a bit ...
Idiomatic expression9/23/2014Ted Nesbitt
  Q: I would like to know the origin, if any exists, of the phrase: happy go-lucky. We speak of a ...
  A: "Happy-go-lucky" is simply a phrase that is a combination of three other English words. The phrase ...
Meaning of Word "Eulogy"7/17/2014Carol Pozefsky
  Q: I am writing a piece on the eulogy. Some say it means "to speak good of". Others say it means "to ...
  A: I hope you're having a fine week. Originally a eulogy was a formal oration in praise of someone. ...
Testimonial6/12/2014Carol Pozefsky
  Q: I have come across the word 'Testimonial'. My difficulty lies in the fact whether a 'testimonial' ...
  A: I hope that you are having a fine week. A testimonial may be written or verbal; whichever is ...
Hindi4/30/2014Carol Pozefsky
  Q: do you know of any English words that are derived from Hindi? Thank you!
  A: I hope you are having a fine week, Here are some English words of Hindi origin: ...
Etymology of 'Off'. e.g. Play-off / Face-off / Cook-off3/28/2014Ted Nesbitt
  Q: I noticed you answered a question similar to this one - ...
  A: "Bake-off" and other similar terms are fairly recent additions to the English language. As you can ...
peas/ant3/15/2014Carol Pozefsky
  Q: I suppose I could ask if you yourself know of some reasonably certain connection between the words, ...
  A: I hope you are having a fine weekend, You are so right; Most dictionaries provide definitions ...
Latin word creator and explanation2/27/2014Carol Pozefsky
  Q: Why versus in universus? Why uni? Who created the Latin word?
  A: I hope you're having a fine week. My specialty is etymology; the origins of English words and ...
Quality11/10/2013Carol Pozefsky
  Q: What is the origin of word "quality"?
  A: I hope you are having a fine week, The word 'quality' appears in English in the 14th Century. ...
Jabip6/25/2013Ted Nesbitt
  Q: I've heard the word "Jabip" used to refer to places in the middle of nowhere. Having searched ...
  A: FOLLOW-UP: I posted your question at a reference librarians' list for difficult questions. Many ...
provide6/18/2013Ted Nesbitt
  Q: I m glad to that I can write a letter to u again I want to provide my English in All the parts ...
  A: hi dear ted I m glad to that I can write a letter to u again I want to provide my English in All the ...
derivation of an English term5/24/2013Carol Pozefsky
  Q: I expect this will go back to Middle English @ least. I want the derivation of the word "cob"; as in ...
  A: I hope you are having a fine weekend. For some reason, your question took a very long time to get ...
Greeting5/22/2013Carol Pozefsky
  Q: is it OK to write "sincere regards" for "yours sincerely/faithfully"? Does the expression even ...
  A: I hope you're having a fine week, All three expressions; Yours Sincerely, Yours Faithfully ...
Words5/4/2013Carol Pozefsky
  Q: Good day How does one come up with new words in the vocabulary? Is there a process and how does one ...
  A: I hope that you're having a good weekend, This question reached me just now (3/14) but ...
use of word 'candid'4/26/2013Carol Pozefsky
  Q: Back in the 1960's, British TV had a programme called 'Candid Camera' in which the unsuspecting ...
  A: and welcome to the weekend, 'Candid Camera' appeared on U.S.television for many years ...
The Invention Of Words - Is There A Word For That?4/24/2013Ted Nesbitt
  Q: Why does the media continually "invent" words? Not only has this practice become common over the ...
  A: I spent a few hours today at the library, searching through a number of dictionaries: regular ...
Fake Words4/24/2013Carol Pozefsky
  A: I hope that you're having a fine week, All language evolves. Every new word since time ...
meaning of "pingler"3/15/2013Ted Nesbitt
  Q: What does "pingler" mean? It was on Lyly's Euphues: Judging all to be clowns which be no courtiers, ...
  A: The volunteers at Allexperts receive no payment. We DO appreciate good evaluations for our work in ...
paddybass3/12/2013Carol Pozefsky
  Q: my mother always used this word when i was a kid.she would use it at times when my brother and i or ...
  A: I hope you are having a fine weekend. First of all , please forgive the delayed response. I ...
phrase origin3/8/2013Ted Nesbitt
  Q: What is the origin of phrase " are you pulling my leg?" Does it have anything to do with biblical ...
  A: The phrase has nothing to do with the Bible. The best guess about its origin comes from the "Morris ...
What does "solid ciminal case" mean?2/4/2013Ted Nesbitt
  Q: Nesbitt, I hope you are well. I recently read this sentence, "It is questionable whether or not the ...
  A: It is very good to hear from you. I am in contact with several people in China, but you are the ...
the word christmas12/8/2012Ted Nesbitt
  Q: some one on the same web page as you from last trumpet ministries says the true meaning of the word ...
  A: "Christ" means "Christ." "Mas" means "mass," the religious service prominent in Catholic services. ...
Tracing etymology of names of clothing items10/3/2012Carol Pozefsky
  Q: What is the origin of the following words: kaftans, kimono, choli, sari, churidar, sharara, kurti, ...
  A: I hope that you're having a fine week, The number of word requests exceeds the available time ...
Derivation of the trucking term "10-4"9/3/2012Ted Nesbitt
  Q: I hope you will answer this for me. I find it difficult to navigate the multitude of web sites, so ...
  A: The "10 codes" were developed in the 1930s as abbreviations for both truckers and other CB users AND ...
Meaning of "mesnil"8/29/2012Ted Nesbitt
  Q: There are many French place names that include "mesnil" in them (mostly but not all in the north of ...
  A: I am happy to satisfy your curiosity and put you "out of your misery!" By doing some internet ...
"Shoveling food into one's mouth"7/22/2012Carol Pozefsky
  Q: My wife and I have a disagreement about this phrase. I contend that the phrase "shoveling food into ...
  A: I hope that you and your wife are having a fine weekend, There is no definitive etymology for ...
butcher boy6/19/2012Carol Pozefsky
  Q: In Australia, we use the term "slater" to refer to a woodlouse (Oniscidea). However, there is also a ...
  A: I hope you are having a fine week, Thank you for introducing me to this fascinating creature, ...
Colloquialisms6/12/2012Carol Pozefsky
  Q: What is the origin and the meaning of "good egg" ie He's a good egg....ie a good guy
  A: A lot has been written about the origins of the phrase 'a good egg' and I'll touch on a few theories ...
Only when6/5/2012Ted Nesbitt
  Q: Which of the following sentences is correct and natural? 1) Only when I saw the sadly ...
  A: 1) Only when I saw the sadly expression/look on her face did I realize that I had made a big ...
Reveillee5/18/2012Carol Pozefsky
  Q: I am a composer deciding on a choice of title for a musical composition. It involves the "wake-up" ...
  A: I hope you are having a fine week, The only variatiom of 'reveille' I find is spelled the same ...
uncommon contraction4/16/2012Ted Nesbitt
  Q: I recently came across "A Violet In Her Hair" by Charles Swain, with the contraction "e'ed" - I ...
  A: I found that contraction at a few internet sites. The line is incorrect. The correct wording is ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Etymology (Meaning of Words)

Carol Pozefsky

Top Expert on this page