Etymology (Meaning of Words)/the word christmas

Question
some one on the same web page as you from last trumpet ministries says the true meaning of the word Christmas means Christ's death. so we are saying merry Christ's death. can this be true ? you can read that by looking up: the true meaning of Christ-mas last trumpet ministries. he claims to be right on this.

Answer
Dear Mike:

"Christ" means "Christ."  "Mas" means "mass," the religious service prominent in Catholic services.  

Here is the entry from "The Oxford English Dictionary" [the world's AUTHORITY] --

Pronunciation:  /ˈkrɪsməs/
Forms:  ME Cristes mæsse, ME cristesmesse, cristmasse, kryst-masse, ME cristemes(e, cristemasse, crystmas(se, ME cristmes, cristmas, crysmas, 15 cristimas, 15–16 Christmasse, 16–17 Christmass, 15– Christmas, (north. dial.17 Kesmas, 18 Cursmas, Cursmis).(Show Less)
Etymology:  Late Old English Cristes mæsse the mass or festival of Christ. See also the by-form Christenmas n.(Show Less)

a. The festival of the nativity of Christ, kept on the 25th of December. Usually extended more or less vaguely to the season immediately preceding and following this day, commonly observed as a time of festivity and rejoicing.

{NOTE:  "nativity" refers to "birth"}

*** Mike, the "ME" stands for "Middle English."  The word entered the English language in ABOUT the year 1120.  It came from the Latin language.

The Latin word for "death" is "mort," as in "mortician," "post mortem," "mortify," etc.  I don't know anything about "Last trumpet ministries," but the idea that Christmas means "Christ's death" is absurd.  It means "celebration," not death.

Ted Nesbitt

Etymology (Meaning of Words)

Ted Nesbitt