Etymology (Meaning of Words)/What does "solid ciminal case" mean?

Question
Hi Mr. Nesbitt,

I hope you are well.
I recently read this sentence, "It is questionable whether or not the prosecution in this case had a solid criminal case against Aaron Swartz."
I dont understand what "solid" here means. Does it mean SERIOUS crime?
Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Answer
Dear Kevin:

It is very good to hear from you.  I am in contact with several people in China, but you are the first from Shanghai.  One of my former students may be coming to your city this summer.  He is a law school student and is hoping to receive a grant to attend classes at a university in Shanghai.

**************

I hope you are well.
I recently read this sentence, "It is questionable whether or not the
prosecution in this case had a solid criminal case against Aaron Swartz."
Thank you so much.

*** Kevin, the word "solid" does not apply to the crime.  It describes the CRIMINAL CASE.  In other words, the prosecution has collected a great deal of EVIDENCE against Aaron Swartz.
A synonym for "solid" is "substantial."  If the prosecution had little evidence, the criminal case would be described as "weak."

The opposite of "weak" is "strong."  Your sentence says that the prosecution may or may not have substantial [solid] evidence.

Ted Nesbitt

Etymology (Meaning of Words)

Ted Nesbitt