Etymology (Meaning of Words)/meaning of "pingler"

Question
What does "pingler" mean? It was on Lyly's Euphues:
Judging all to be clowns which be no courtiers, and all to be pinglers, that be not coursers.
Thanks

Answer
Dear Piruz:

The volunteers at Allexperts receive no payment.  We DO appreciate good evaluations for our
work in helping others.  At the end of my response to you, there is an evaluation form, so that you can rate my knowledge, clarity, etc.  If my answer is thorough and I have included research from other sources, you may consider me for the nomination as a "volunteer of the month."  Please complete this evaluation.  Your question will remain in my inbox as "unanswered," until you evaluate my work.

Thank you very much, Piruz.

Ted Nesbitt

****************************************************

Here is the definition from "The Oxford English Dictionary" --

To work in a trifling or ineffectual way; to meddle or have to do with in a petty way; to waste time, dally. Obs.

"Pingle," as a verb was first used in the English language in 1574.  It comes from a Dutch word that means "trivia."

A "pingler" is a person who wastes time, someone who does not accomplish very much.

EXAMPLE:  The little boy does not eat like other boys.  He pingles with his food, moving it from one area of his plate to another area.

In the 16th century, people from Scotland were called "pinglers."  The British thought the Scots were lazy and "good for nothing."

The dictionary lists the word as being "obsolete" today.

Ted Nesbitt

Etymology (Meaning of Words)

Ted Nesbitt