Etymology (Meaning of Words)/paddybass

Question
my mother always used this word when i was a kid.she would use it at times when my brother and i or some friends would be in and out of the house as in back and forth.she would say 'you either got to come in or stay outside.just quit paddybassing.i'm from eastern carteret county'n.c.on jarretts bay.my people have been here since the early 1700s so i assume it was a word that was passed down most likely from her mother.i have asked a couple of people 'who have since passed on' and they also remembered the word being used.

Answer
Hello, I hope you are having a fine weekend.
   First of all , please forgive the delayed response.  I have not been well and I neglected to inform allexperts that I would be indisposed for a while.
   'Paddybassing' is American slang from the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  It means to walk back and forth.  Somewhat related words would be:  'lollygaggling' and 'dillydallying', meaning aimless loitering.
    The best to you always and, again, I apologize for the delay.
    Carol P.

Etymology (Meaning of Words)

Carol Pozefsky