Etymology (Meaning of Words)/Testimonial

Question
Dear Sir/Madam

I have come across the word 'Testimonial'.  My difficulty lies in the fact whether a 'testimonial' must be definitely in writing or can it be verbal too.  In a call for applications for a certain post candidates were requested to produce testimonials to substantiate their experience with the production of a testimonial.  But I have come with a candidate who told me that his Peer was not ready to give him a declaration in writing but though we can interview him at our ease.  Can this interview be equivalent to a 'testimonial'?

Thus whilst hoping to hear from you soon I thank you in advance.

Regards.

Paul Fava
Malta

Answer

Hello,  I hope that you are having a fine week.
    A testimonial may be written or verbal; whichever is requested.  However, in my experience, a student applying for a professional position or for admission into a university or graduate school is always required to present references in writing. (In the United States, the term reference is preferred; it has basically the same meaning as testimonial)
    The question is:  Why was the Peer NOT ready to provide a reference in writing? It seems most unusual and if I were considering such a candidate, I would follow precedent and insist upon receiving all references in writing. In that way,  they can be reviewed and evaluated at your convenience and in privacy.
    The best to you always,
         C.P.  

Etymology (Meaning of Words)

Carol Pozefsky