European History/Feudalism

Describe the environmental impact of intense land use during the Middle Ages

Hi Paula,

Early Medieval Europeans used the "two field" system for farming. This was when one field would be cultivated while the other field would lie fallow (uncultivated) for the growing seasons so that it could rejuvenate. However, the types of crops grown still depleted the soil. In the later Middle Ages (after about 1100), the three-field crop system was used. This was when two fields were planted with two different crops (types which affected the soil differently) while one field remained fallow. This system was much more environmentally friendly and also resulted in a huge increase of crop production.

I hope this is helpful, Paula.

- Marc  

European History

Marc Aperio

I'm comfortable with each period of European history. I will be glad to respond to any question, and promise a clear, accurate, and simple reply. My personal interests include Medieval Europe, the Reformation, the Enlightenment, and Nazi Germany.

I've studied history for nealy 20 years. I'm currently volunteering in the US and European history categories.

My newest book WE NEED TO TALK: 27 DIALOGUES ON RACE IN AMERICA is available in the Amazon Kindle store. Also the author of AMERICAN REVOLUTION 2016: RATIONALE AND AIMS FOR RADICAL CHANGE

BA History (High Honors)