Evolution/Guadeloupe woman

TBONE wrote at 2009-10-14 17:25:57
Dear Mr Rikard,

Thank you for your enquiry. Our specialist, Robert Kruszynski has replied as follows:

"We do hold this set of human remains from Grand Terre island, Guadeloupe, West Indies. It is a human skeleton lacking its skull and all its foot bones, with all the available postcranial bones still partially embedded in a block of oolitic limestone. It is stored and curated here in our Special Collection.

It was, as reported below, found in 1812 and presented to the British Museum in 1813 by Sir A. Cochrane R.N., who was at that time one of the Lords of the Admiralty. In 1881 it became part of the foundation collection of this Museum. It was originally registered as M  16820 and then in 2006 it was re-registered as PA HR 4128.

In 2006 I personally weighed the block of limestone containing this partial skeleton and its weight came to approximately 230 Kg. From the same findspot are a number of other human skeletons (possibly six) which were (at the time at least) also partially embedded in oolitic limestone and these are now stored in a museum in Paris. Palaeontological and mineralogical work has been carried out on the block we have which indicates nothing unusual about this find and there is now a plan to carry out absolute dating on the bones of this skeleton."

If you have any further questions, please contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Hilary Ketchum

Earth Sciences Identification and Advisory Officer Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity The Natural History Museum Cromwell Road London  SW7 5BD  

AE wrote at 2016-05-02 14:12:01
try:

https://archive.org/stream/philtrans01355021/01355021#page/n0/mode/2up

The skeleton is real, but the "limestone" is of uncertain date as of 1813.  Cannot find anything later.

Evolution

John