Evolution/Right v/s Left Handed / Footed Human Beings.

Right Handed
Right Handed  

Left Handed
Left Handed  
Dear Dr Dana

why are there more right handed or right footed people than left handed or left footed people ?

Do Genetics, Neurological science play a role in this ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant,

Short answer:  no one really knows.  Not yet.  There are many scholarly articles exploring this, and you have found some of the overviews.  As you can see, there is no full agreement in the scientific community.

Genes and environment may both play a role in the development of right- or left-handedness.  And some believe that a mutation promoting right-handedness occurred in our evolutionary past, and conferred a slight selective advantage.  See:

and a whole list of primary literature on the subject here:

But research and debate about this are ongoing.  So that's the best I can do.  :)

Hope this helps, though.

Dana Krempels

I can answer questions about evolutionary mechanisms and theory, including genetic drift, mutation, natural selection, etc. I also can clear up misconceptions about evolution as it's sometimes talked about by those not well-versed in the subject (e.g., some politicians and many religious fundamentalists).

I have a Ph.D. in Biology, and presently teach Evolution and Biodiversity, Genetics, Botany, and Zoology at the University of Miami.

House Rabbit Society Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society

Exotic DVM Magazine (veterinary journal)

B.S. in Biology B.A. in English Ph.D. in Biology