Evolution/Single celled organisms

Dear Mrs DeWald,

Let me begin by thanking you very much for your willingness to volunteer on the website like this-it is much appreciated, ma'am.

Marking what's likely to become your most incoherent and/or elementary question of the year, I fear,according to certain gray areas in modern mainstream medicine and historical evolutionistic theory alike, "Single celled organisms" have played a role in both the past and present-Creation based scientists often reference the "Cambrian vs Pre-Cambrian explosion," for example, whereby most take delight in that only single celled organisms can be found in pre-Cambrian fossil.  

In that same breath, despite marking a gray area in modern science, single celled organisms like G.Lamblia and T. Gondii, which are clearly still here w/ us today, are alleged to have the means of "Hijacking the human host and potentially altering human behavior as we know it," according to an article I read several years ago.

As foolish as this will sound, ma'am, is it possible that these single celled organisms have not only been with us since the beginning of the time, but would have had the means, IN THEIR OWN RIGHT, to have formed "All things," as we comprehend them?

Is it the least bit coherent to reject "Darwinism science (IE-that we originated from monkeys, and smaller ones before them)," but then invite for the possibility that these single celled organisms may have "Constructed all of this as we know it on their own," essentially, for the intent of "Their own survival (With the right combination of bacterias, etc, in a host)?"

Why do the "Darwinists," then or now, insist on defining their theory be exclusive to the skeletal/fossil record, and such alone, in other words? What makes that part so important vs the possibility of something like this instead?

Thank you very much for your valuable time today, once again.

Kindest Regards,

First, your question in convoluted, with lots of assumptions, and several questions, or comments.  So I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Thus,  I'll first attempt to add to your general knowledge of evolution.

In your second to the last paragraph, you comment that"we originated from monkeys".  No, we for sure did not.  They are as modern as you are.  4 million years ago, there were no monkeys!!!!  But all primates have a common ancestor.  And you can likely Google charts that have various ideas about what is related to whom. {For example, about 15 years ago a primate now called ARDI was discovered  (Google it)  that absolutely walked all the time in an erect position, and oddly with a large toe that could grip, just like a chimp's or gorilla's.  Is it on the main and direct  line of our ancestry?  Or just a side experiment?  Evolution is still uncertain.} The DNA in us all shows that our nearest living relative is the chimp, (and the bonobo--a type of chimp).  

And you will find this theme more than adequately discussed in Jared Diamond's book, "The Third Chimpanzee"....we are the third chimpanzee.  We ARE naked apes.  I encourage you to read it.

As well, in 1950's with the discovery of DNA was the final downfall of the idea of creationism/ID.  DNA proved that everything on this planet alive is related to every other living thing.  We are all connected, here, biologically.  We are connected to this planet chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically, which then brings me to suggest to you that even with no fossils at all, we can show with DNA only, how closely all living things here are.  Fossils are just the icing on the cake so to speak.  It's as if DNA were an alphabet.  With only 26 letters, in all languages that use our alphabet, look at the number of different books that are out there.... utterly billions and billions, all different.  It is exactly the mechanism used by evolution.  Humans even have chunks of DNA in the exact order as oak trees, and scorpions just as all books in English repeatedly use "the" "in" "out" "for" etc, etc., etc.

Thus, to counter your comment, the fossil record isn't the main thrust of modern evolution...DNA is. The fossil record is simple icing.

What isn't really known is how life began on this planet, and what were the first organisms. The planet itself was formed thru a process called "accretion"  (Google it and understand the process before you continue.) Some biologists suggest that life began with RNA, and that when clumps of it fell apart, those then found their matching clumps and thus began reproduction.  If the chances of this are billion and billions to one, that makes it an absolute certainty, since this needed to happen only once in the billions and billions of years this planet has existed.  And when it did, it opened the way to different combinations, and thus different types of life forms.  What drove the "Cambrian Explosion" is the simple fact that life then had opportunities not available to it before there were significant numbers of various types of organisms.  It was an "explosion" only in the sense that there were more organisms of various varieties than those that had previously existed.  Please don't take from this word that life went from nothing and then bang, suddenly, and in a very short time there evolved hugely vast unimaginably complex plants, protists and animals.  It didn't happen this way.  The time was vast, and the added thing was that for many places on the planet the climate was stable.

As well, add to the mix another way life could have begun...panspermia is an alternative idea.  That is, living organisms with the ability to withstand space, cold, a vacuum,  and a long journey via meteors hitting repeatedly this planet, life could have begun on this planet this way as well or as the only way.   And we do indeed have bacteria that have been adhered in safe containers, attached to the outside of space equipment, that have survived months, even years, and likely decades.  In fact both could have occurred.  No one really knows, and I know of no scientist who has come up with anything definitive.  WE just don't know.

As for G. lambia and T. gondii, you might find this article interesting:

I'd be reluctant to support any notion that these parasites could direct evolution.  Parasitic ancestors have always had ancestors that were independent, but found a parasitic life safer.  Environment always drives evolution.  And these ancestors found that being in a parasitic position inside the gut of a living thing, was simply safer.  A parasite hopes only to catch a ride, be nourished,  with as little effort as possible, AND to do so without killing the host.  Making them sick is one thing.  Killing them is as well a death sentence to the parasite too.  I don't see these as directors of their own fate, frankly or of the fate of the hosts.  

I hope this answers your questions.  Feel free to again write if you find a specific idea giving you a pause.

Elisabeth Dewald.

I'd as well suggest to you a rather good book on evolution..."Why Evolution is True" by Jerry Coyne, Ph. D., University of Chicago.

Elisabeth DeWald

I've been a public school teacher for 26 years. My major was history, but along the way, picked up minors in math, biology, zoology, and other life sciences. My whole life has been on one side of the desk or the other. Husband and Dad were both MDs so science and medicine was a natural for me. My dad once told me that I knew more medicine than most doctors. I can easily answer almost any life science question, most history questions, and lots of medical questions.

Taught math,history, science, geology, chemistry, biology in a public school setting

None at the present time

Majored in history in college, minored in all those subject mentioned. Masters degree in education. Grad courses, but no degree in religious studies, U of Chicago, Divinity School.

Award at my one of my colleges of Best Student, in History as a year end award.

I tutored for two years in math. Math however, if not used daily fades. My area of competency is in honors first year algebra, at this point.