Evolution/Heron and large fish (really?)??

While fishing, I recently saw a Great Blue Heron dive and catch quite a pretty large (and colorful!) rainbow trout crosswise in it's bill, you could tell the fish was fighting for it's lfe to prevent becoming the bird's dinner. It looked like the fish was putting up a good struggle, but within about 30 seconds the wriggling thing was turned face-first and the heron swallowed the entire fish down its long neck the whole way!! It was a bit gruesome to watch the poor fish squirm on it's presumed last trip down, even after, once in the stomach you could see it give a kick much to the discomfort it appeared to the bird. We didn't stay much longer, I wonder if that was the end for the fish or if it still had a slim chance of survival???

Does it stand any slim chance of escaping such a grim fate or at least damage the bird's insides with that thrashing?? It must be a some meal for the bird and I wonder if it handles it bones and all as well?!

It is probably dinner. Even with all of its thrashing inside the gullet of the heron, it would be unlikey to escape thru the tissue of the craw, as well as the skin.  And in less than a minute, it would have suffocated.  Gills cannot get any oxygen if there is no water.  And there would not be enough water in the craw of the heron for it to survive.

Soooo, if it lived only a minute, it would be unlikely to kill the heron and escape.  

Elisabeth DeWald

I've been a public school teacher for 26 years. My major was history, but along the way, picked up minors in math, biology, zoology, and other life sciences. My whole life has been on one side of the desk or the other. Husband and Dad were both MDs so science and medicine was a natural for me. My dad once told me that I knew more medicine than most doctors. I can easily answer almost any life science question, most history questions, and lots of medical questions.

Taught math,history, science, geology, chemistry, biology in a public school setting

None at the present time

Majored in history in college, minored in all those subject mentioned. Masters degree in education. Grad courses, but no degree in religious studies, U of Chicago, Divinity School.

Award at my one of my colleges of Best Student, in History as a year end award.

I tutored for two years in math. Math however, if not used daily fades. My area of competency is in honors first year algebra, at this point.