Evolution/progression in genes

Question

The progression in the complexity of the organs is apparently seen in the living organisms according to evolutionists. Consider the evolution of brains and neurons, humans have them better than any other organisms. So the genes have improved over the period of time. I was wondering how could genes have progressively evolved as if they are intelligently designed since they are just chemicals. How chemicals can keep improving itself and produce highly intelligent species like humans. We humans have not yet been able to produce a single cell completely till now with the chemicals alone. I find it surprising to say that the chemicals have evolved so much intelligently in billions of years. Could you give your thoughts on this.

Answer
Firstly, evolution doesn't need any "intelligent designer".  

The development of anything in any plant or animal is the process of mutations, time, and death.  When you understand that, you understand how anything evolves.

Mutations are goofs in the reproduction of the genome.  If the mutation is advantageous, even just a little, in 40 generations, in that area where that individual lives, all of that species will carry that mutation.  Death and time is all that is needed for things to change.  

As a great example, are the Galapagos Islands.  There are flightless cormorants there.  But they originally came from South America, blown there during a storm, or floated on a log or piece of wood.  (There were no predators in the Galapagos until humans released their dogs, cats, and brought rats with them on their ships---sometime within the last 500 years.)  

From the time the cormorants arrived, several million years ago, the wings really were not needed.  And wings used in flight are "expensive" to maintain.... huge muscles, require lots of energy to run.  As they were not needed, when a bird was born without the ability to fly..... wings too small for the job...... that animal now survived.  But when this same mutation occurred, in South America, the bird that could not fly didn't make it to adulthood to pass this on to the next generation.  Birds species have always had individuals that had poor wings.  They didn't survive, and still don't.  

Every organism has a mutation now and again, in all directions..thicker hair, thinner bones, darker skin, etc., etc.,.....  Most mutation are lethal.  But occasionally, they are better than those the parents had.

Another example of a mutation is called a "sport" (google it   Species + "sport" in evolution)....where it is beyond just being good, but hugely better.  

Two that come to mind is the Delicious Apple.  It was a "sport", found somewhere in Ohio a few centuries ago.  And cuttings were taken from it, grafted onto any ordinary  apple root system, and it survives as a species  to this day.  A sport very popular that occurred in the 1700s, was a horse that ended up being called Justin Morgan.    He was used as a plow horse all day, and then in the evenings, his owner ran races against the other farmers' horses  in his area, and won.  (Google his story.... "Justin Morgan")  

He had more strength and energy than any ordinary horse.  And his genes remain in all Morgan horses today.  They are firstly, usually bay in color, as was he, and have usually a great personality, and great amounts of energy.

As for your exact question, intelligence works the same way as all mutations do.  Early humans, such as Neanderthal, Ardi, Homo habilis, and others, became more intelligent, as time went on.  Why?  Because to be more intelligent gave that individual the power to solve problems, and co- ordinate a hunt for the tribe.  We are a long way from chemicals at this point.  We are into cells, organs, organ systems, and entire organisms..... far beyond atoms.  

The first trick that living things has to conquer was the idea of reproduction.  At first it was simply done with RNA (not even DNA).  The RNA simply unraveled into two parts, and it then needed to find two other sets which as well, had unraveled.  One half joined with one of the other halves.    And it needed to succeed in doing this just once.  With billions and billions of RNA and billions and billions of years, and billions and billions of unraveled sets,  it was all but an absolute certainty that life (defines as having the ability to reproduce) would evolve.  

And please do not think that this is at all unique in our universe.   All that is needed for life to begin is for a moon or planet to have a long history of a stable environment, with liquid water.  And there are billions of them out there, in the "Goldilocks" zone of their star.  Our chances of finding any intelligent life is rather slim, however.  They must be right now, as technically advanced as we are, and  we have been technically  for only about 30 years.  That is a very slim window of time.   (Google SETI---a project for the "Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence".)

And the nearest planet to us with those requirement of a stable environment. etc.,  is 20 light years away....... that's a huge distance.  

Light travel 186,000 miles PER SECOND.  By the time we got there, that civilization could be gone ---gone forever, and maybe nothing left of the planet itself, either.  (This planet will die when our own star becomes a red giant, and expands to absorb us into its perimeter.  How long will that be before this happens?  About 5 billion years.  See the problem???)

So, gods did not make life on this planet or any other.  Life will evolved if the above conditions are met.

Helpful?

If you wish more information, write me at:   swan_silver1929@aol.com

Evolution

Elisabeth DeWald