Excel/Comment boxes are moving - on their own!

Lisa wrote at 2008-02-18 16:07:15
Hi! I know what Julie is talking about. She does indeed mean that the comment boxes themselves are moving around the spreadsheet. I am having the same problem. It appears to work fine (insert comment into a cell and you get a comment box that is supposed to anchor to the cell)...the when you save and close the spreadsheet and come back to it later, the comment boxes move far away from the cell. They are still anchored to the cell, but on long tethers and far from where they are supposed to be. A real pain!

Tom wrote at 2008-02-27 15:11:19
02/27/08

I have had the same problem as Julia using MS Excel 2003.  Yes, the comment boxes are tied to the cell, however, as more rows are added, or something, the comment boxes, although tied to the cell, move 1000's of rows down.  The only solution I have seen, is to drag each comment box back close to its cell.  This is a tedious task for 100's of comment boxes, and I would like to see a better solution also.

Janet wrote at 2008-03-26 05:31:22
I have been fighting this problem for a long time. Tonight I decided to do a little research on the internet to see if I could find an answer. I love Excel, but find it extremely frustrating when the comment boxes move all over the spreadsheet...as well as resizing themselves. I sure hope someone can provide a resolution.

Stravonski wrote at 2008-06-19 14:02:26
I was having the same issues with the comments boxes tied to cells.  I finally found what worked for me to be this.  Right click on a comment you already have and select Edit Comment.  Then right click the box comment box frame and select Format Comment.  If you right click inside the box, you wonít get the full format window so be sure you right click the frame.  Select the Properties tab and click Move and size with cells.  Viewing the comments now keeps them next to the cell itself.  If you edit the comment, it will still be in some far corner of your spreadsheet, but if youíre like me, I only add a comment once per cell and just use it for viewing.

From what I have been able to determine, when I use auto-filters on the spreadsheet, that messes up the comments and sends them all over the place in the spreadsheet.  Since Iím not about to give up that function, this is a good fix for viewing the comments of a cell without having to jump all over the spreadsheet.

Stravonski wrote at 2008-06-19 14:03:44

EasyAim wrote at 2009-01-15 23:26:41
No, Julie really means "comments".  They move and they resize spontaneously in Excel version 2003.  It is ridiculous.  You have write VBA code to resize the comment boxes or do it manually.

Aidan wrote at 2009-02-03 17:17:00
To all who have added comments - you are quite right - comments will move all over the place, although will remain anchored to the original cell.  This appears to be a "feature" which continues until at least Excel 2007 at the time of writing this - the only fixes I've found so far on the net are macro ones (or stop using comments- conditional formatting could be an alternative, but with no format condition set!)

Poseur wrote at 2009-03-18 19:15:38
I am having the problem too with Comments boxes.  The comments may be found on a tether spanning several dozen cells.  In addition the comment box is resized so as to make the text unreadable.  I am sure that I am talking about the comments that are indicated by the little red wedge in the upper right corner of the cell.

pstraton wrote at 2009-06-29 21:03:03
Stravonski's answer is correct for Excel comment edit boxes.  But, on the Properties tab, I suggest selecting the 'Move but donít size with cells' setting instead.  This will also prevent your comments from being "smashed" into unreadable little boxes during AutoFilter.

mjh wrote at 2010-03-11 15:48:24
Answer is wrong. I have the same problem. So does my co-worker and we are in Excel every day, ALL day. Have been for years. This just started recently, within the past year. The "right-click, insert comment" method is used, but the next time you want to edit the comment, it is re-sized and somewhere very far away from the original cell.

Chris wrote at 2010-03-15 19:05:41
I just ran into something like this today, with Excel 2003.  The fix works for an XLS spreadsheet.  It does not work for spreadsheets saved in XML -- apparently the <Comment> tag just doesn't have a size attribute, so it's not possible to retain the information.

Maz wrote at 2011-12-01 15:41:22
NO - I think she WAS talking about the COMMENTS boxes. This is something I'm searching for online help for because it's happening to me too. So frustrating!!! Definitely not text boxes. Any help greatly appreciated

Zingapuro wrote at 2012-01-03 11:50:00
I agree - very odd behaviour.  Luckily, this macro worked like a charm for me.

http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Reset

MuddyPaws65 wrote at 2012-12-19 03:29:52
Zingopuro, you're right - the macro you provided 1-3-2012 works like a charm!  Almost a year later that someone is  finally saying this, so it's long overdue:  Thank you SO MUCH!

walshie wrote at 2013-01-10 16:20:51
Wow - this absolutely did the trick.  Thank you for posting this - a long-standing, highly annoying problem.  Now if only Microsoft could make it part of the software!

Bernieboo wrote at 2013-01-21 04:32:51
The macro works a treat.  The reason for this happening is due to working in spreadsheets with filters.  When you filter data and highlight comments,Excel remembers where the comment was last shown (in its filtered format).  Thanks for the macro

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage