Excel/how to autofilter merged cells

alutchenkov wrote at 2009-10-12 08:51:55
I found a way to merge cells with keeping merged cells values. Works fine in Excel 2003.

1. Repeat value in all cells that need to me merged

2. Use "Copy format" button to merge the cells. For example, if you need to merge 3 cells 'dog', then you can merge 3 any empty cells, select merged cell, press "Copy format" button, and select first 'dog' cell.

Autofilter works fine with merged cells after that.

Leandro wrote at 2011-02-16 00:22:37
I had the same problem. To fix it do the following:

Create a new column and add the data of your problematic column (merged column) in an unmerged way. Your spreadsheet will look like this:

Thing2 Thing Color          

candy        blue

candy candy  red

candy        brown

dog          black

dog   dog    golden

dog          white

The first column is the new one you created. The second and third column is the one you already had.

Now, copy the format of the candy cell in the second column, and paste it to the first candy in the first column. Do the same thing to the dog cell. By doing that, you are not missing information, just making it display in a different fashion.

Delete the second column and that's it, you are done...

MissUngercover wrote at 2012-04-27 20:58:20
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I have a file where it showed what you have described, but I couldn't replicate it. Have been searching for hours for a way how and now stumpled upon your answers.

Many, many thanks!

Dok wrote at 2012-11-16 13:55:43
Leandro, you're officially an Excel Jedi. Thanks for your tip!!!

GP313 wrote at 2013-03-27 13:08:22
Thank you alutchenkov!  Simple answer and works great in all excel versions... much appreciated.  

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Miguel Zapico