Excel/Removing e-mail hyperlinks in Excel

123 wrote at 2009-03-26 16:29:05
I think what many folks who view this thread are looking for is how to disable the automatic creation of hyperlinks (web or email addresses) in an Excel sheet. That's what brought me here...

Here are the steps to disable the automatic creation of hyperlinks in a spreadsheet - for Excel 2003. The steps should similar for other versions:

1) From the menu, select Tools -> AutoCorrect Options

2) Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.

3) Uncheck the "Replace as you type" box for "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks"

This should prevent Excel from automatically creating hyperlinks when you enter web or email addresses in cells.

Hope this helps...  

Jay wrote at 2009-06-15 08:48:05
To remove all Hyperlinks in all columns or rows, just follow the Five Instructions below... it works for me perfectly:

1. Type 1 in any blank cell, then PRESS Enter

2. Right Click the cell that contained the number 1 you typed, and click Copy

3. Press and hold CTRL, and click the first hyperlink and drag your mouse to highlight all cells containing datas with links. Once all data links are higlighted

4. Go to Edit Menu and click Paste Special

5. Under OPERATION, select Multiply and press OK

There you go all links on your data disappeared.

Jerry

Jay wrote at 2009-06-15 08:48:41

Jerry

IHateMS wrote at 2009-08-16 14:46:40
Another way is to copy the entire column of hyperlinks they go to another column and "paste special" and tick "values", then drag this column back over the original column, when it asks if you want to replace, answer "yes"

school admin wrote at 2009-11-23 21:37:57
This solution does not work for me. I have tried deleting, cutting and pasting over it, hitting the space bar once, but the old email address is still there despite the text (and the persons actual email address) having changed. Right clicking brings up remove and edit hyperlink, but they are greyed out. Suggestions?

aluce wrote at 2011-07-12 15:08:56
Quick Fix without Macro:

Type the number 1 in a blank cell

Copy the cell with the 1 in it

Select your whole row that you want to remove hyperlinks from

Right click on the column selected and click paste special

Select Multiply from the bottom Operation section and click ok

Robin M. wrote at 2013-04-26 19:03:46
That's the simple solution, but it will strip all formatting from  your spreadsheet (not a good result - thank goodness for Undo!)

Your macro has to loop through all cells, copy the existing format attributes to temporary variables, THEN remove the hyperlink and re-apply the attributes once the hyperlink has been removed.  Borders, gridlines, color, etc.  

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bill