Excel/What are bin numbers?

dswartz44 wrote at 2013-06-02 21:30:38
Bill, that was a rude answer ("The Excel help file explains this quite clearly...."). Obviously it was NOT clear to Amit otherwise he wouldn't have asked. I also did not understand what the "bin" numbers are and I couldn't open the excel help url so I had to go online to find out. All you had to do is to answer the question and perhaps give a simple example such as "if your data is listed by day of the week or by date, for example, then your bin numbers would be the individual days of the week or the individual dates. Now wouldn't that have been a nicer response than being so smarmy? Just saying...

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bill Hermanson

Please tell me WHICH EXCEL VERSION you are using!

DO NOT ASK ME me about Macros or VBA.

Please read my "instructions to questioners" in my full profile [use View Profile, at right], to help you write a question that I can understand, without having to ask you what you mean.

If your question contains any of the words THIS, IT, THAT, THOSE, or THEY, I likely won't understand IT. Please rewrite!

My Expertise: I am an expert at data manipulation, the use of incredibly complex logical statements, databases, combining tables and extracting data, all the LOGICAL, LOOKUP & REFERENCE functions, dynamic ranges, creating professional appearing spreadsheets, complex functions, integrated charts and visual displays, user interfaces.... I can make Excel do anything!

25 years development of complex spreadsheets for personal and professional use. I've developed hundreds (or thousands!) of spreadsheets in all fields, from complex engineering calculations to game scoring, financial analysis, scheduling, cost-of-doing-business, and analysis of home energy use. I even used Excel to assist in design of the flight computers presently on board the Hubble Space Telescope (1984-1991)

BSEE Electrical Engineering, CU Boulder CO USA
Use of spreadsheets since 1982
Boulder Valley School District, Life Long Learning, Instructor
Owner & Operator of Excel Expert, LLC