Excel/COMBINATION OF DATA

Question
Hello!  I am not sure if this is possible, but I thought I would ask.  I have two columns, one that displays rank and one that has a person's full name (last name first).  I would like to combine the data to another cell with only the rank and last name displayed together.  For example, the rank column reads "CAPT" and the name column reads "JONES JOHN PAUL" (no comas).  I am trying to have the third column read "CAPT JONES".  Thank you so much!

Answer
Hi Larry,

Assume that CAPT is in A1 cell and JONES JOHN PAUL in B1 cell

A1
CAPT

B1
JONES JOHN PAUL

In C1
=TRIM(A1&" "&IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(" ",TRIM(B1))),LEFT(TRIM(B1),FIND(" ",TRIM(B1))-1),TRIM(B1)))

Result will be CAPT JONES

Hope that helps!

---

Sixthsense
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Sixthsense