Excel/Excel formula

Question
I'm a novice in using Excel so I'm sure you will be able to help me.  I am developing a spreadsheet for tracking 15% of the number of applications received (15% is the monitoring goal)and I've tried several formulas but nothing is coming up right.   ie.  15% of column E (324 total applications) should come out as 48.6.  What am I doing wrong?

Answer
Sherrie Smith

if I put 324 in B2 and in C2 I put in the formula  =15%*B2  it returns 48.6 for me.

=B2*15%  and  =324*15%  and =324*0.15   and =B2*0.15   should all work as well.

Perhaps you could expand on where you are running into problems/what formula you are using.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy