Excel/match part numbers with highest price

Question
In Excel, I need to find the same part number on two different worksheets and compare each matching part number with the different prices and get the highest amount. I need to end up with a part number column and the highest amount column. How can I do this?

Answer
kathy,

if the part number is to the left of the price, then you can use vlookup on each sheet.

if not then you would use Index and match.

say the part number on one sheet is in column C and the price is in column F

=Vlookup(partnumber,Sheet1!C:F,4,False)

the 4 says to return the value from the 4th column in the lookup range (columns C, D, E, F) for the row where the part number if found

so assumptions
first sheet named Sheet1, partnumbers in column C, price in column F
second sheet named OtherSheetName, partnumbers in column B, price in column C

so in a 3rd sheet as an example, list your part numbers in column A.  So for the first part number in A2, then in B2

=max(vlookup($A2,Sheet1!$C:$F,4,False),vlookup($A2,OtherSheetName!$B:$C,2,False))

vlookup requires that the lookup value be in the leftmost column of the lookup range

if that is not true, then you can use a combination of Index and match.  Lets assume that in the second sheet (sheet name OtherSheetName), the partnumber is in C and the price in B then

=Index(OtherSheetName!$B:$B,match($A2,OtherSheetName!$C:$C,0),1)

so that would replace the vlookup formula in situations where the lookup column is not the leftmost column.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy