Excel/Text search

Question
Good day to you, I have 3 worksheets titled, "response" "positive wordlist," and "negative wordlist"
In response, there is a input cell A(11). Given a sentence, the vba code will search for all words contained in A(11) in both positive and negative wordlist. Then the code must determine a fraction,
The number of positive words divided by the number of negative words.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Answer
Min Sang,

Sorry, I missed the word VBA.  After I figured out a formula, I came back to post it and saw you wanted a VBA solution.  So here is a vba solution.  

It puts up a message box with the result - you didn't say what to do with the fraction.  You should be able to change the code to output what you want.

Also, if a sentence has repeat words in it, each word gets counted separately.  For example in my test string, I had "the" in the sentence twice and it both matched the positive wordlist so that added a count of 2 to the positive wordlist match count.  

Also, you didn't say where your wordlists were on the sheet, so I seach the whole usedrange of the sheet.  Make any adjustments you need to the code.

Sub ABC()
Dim sh1 As Worksheet
Dim r1 As Range, r2 As Range, r3 As Range, i As Long
Dim sh2 As Worksheet, sh3 As Worksheet, s As String
Dim v As Variant, cntPos As Long, cntNeg As Long
cntPos = 0
cntNeg = 0
Set sh1 = Worksheets("Response")
Set r1 = sh1.Range("A11")
Set sh2 = Worksheets("Positive Wordlist")
Set sh3 = Worksheets("Negative Wordlist")
Set r2 = sh2.UsedRange
Set r3 = sh3.UsedRange
s = Application.Trim(r1)
v = Split(s, " ")
For i = LBound(v) To UBound(v)
 Debug.Print i, v(i), Application.CountIf(r2, v(i)), Application.CountIf(r2, v(i))
 If Application.CountIf(r2, v(i)) > 0 Then
   cntPos = cntPos + 1
 ElseIf Application.CountIf(r3, v(i)) > 0 Then
   cntNeg = cntNeg + 1
 End If
Next
If cntNeg > 0 Then
s = "Positive count: " & cntPos & vbNewLine & _
   "Negative count: " & cntNeg & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
   "fraction: " & Format(cntPos / cntNeg, "#.####")
Else
 s = "No negative words matched - fraction is undefined"
End If
MsgBox s

End Sub

tested and worked as I understand the requirement.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy