Excel/truncating data before hyphen

Question

I have cells that have a web address then an email address separated by a space then a hyphen then another space. The problem is that there aren't a consistent no. of characters in either the web address or the email . I only want the email address so it's a matter of getting rid of everything before the hyphen and the space following space. Examples:

www.eeginfo.com -
www.alaskaneurofeedback.com -
www.affordablecounselingsolutions.com -  

Answer
Nancy

You should be able to handle it by using the text to columns feature.
with this you can put into separate columns the web address and the e-mail address and then delete (if you want to) the web address.
So for example the cell that has
WWW.eeginfo.com - rirstress@gmail.com

Can be separated into two columns, the first containing
WWW.eeginfo.com
and the second containing
rirstress@gmail.com

To do this first paint or select all of the data you want to separate, then go to toolbar/data/text to columns.  Selected delimited check the "space" box and also check the "other" box  and next to the other box put in a - or hyphen, then click finish.

Hope this helps

Richard
Florida
USA

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts