Excel/How to use return types

Question
Hello i was using the search function and when it couldnot find the required thing, it gave me a "#value!" (without quotes).

What i wanted to know is the search function is returning this weird value for the reason i mentioned or i am doing something wrong.

Also how to use this bahaviour of functions. I mean if any of function returns such a value how can i put that in formula.

Eg: - I want to concatenate a1 with b1 if the search function could find the match, and if returns this weird value #value! then it should concatenate a1 and c1.

Here how to do it. I have tried this but didnt work.

=if(search("Find this text",A1,1)=#value, Concatenate(A1,B1), Concatenate(A1,C1)).

Please excuse me if i m being bit clumsy, but to sum up, i have 2 questions

(1) Solution to my example.
(2) When do functions return these values.
(3) How to use these return types.

If you find it a bit generalised one, you can refer me an article on these also apart for the example, but please do help me, i want to get this funda.

Thanks in Advance.

Answer
When you post here, please ask one specific question, and always illustrate it with a clear, simple, concrete example. Don't include any information that's not relevant to your specific question/example.

In this case: Say you wanted a formula that concatinates A1 and C1 IF A1 contains the string "find this text", and concatinates A1 and B1 otherwise. The formula is:

=A1&IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("find this text",A1)),B1,C1)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Stuart Resnick