Excel/Color Data Validated Cells

QUESTION: Hi Gulshan,

I have a 2007 excel spreadsheet where i have cells that have been data validated so i can use a dropdown menu.

Is there a way I can COLOR THE FONT on some of the lines in the dropdown?

If you need a further explanation please let me know

Sorry for my ignorance....
Thanks so much

ANSWER: Hi Kris,

I want to make sure I understood your question right:

You want the dropdown list to show different colour font for some of the items. Eg. Cell A1 is using Data validation and the drop down list for Cell A1 contains values (a,b,c,d and e), you want the values c and d to be in a different font colour. Am I right?

If that is the case, then we don't have a direct way to do it. Excel only displays the values in the drop down list, it does not display any formating for the values in data validation drop down list.

If you can be more precise with your requirement, maybe we could find a way to help you.

Hope I've answered your question

QUESTION: Hi Gulshan, yes thats exactly correct. I need the value of only certain lines in the downdown's to stand out.

So there is no way to change the font or color of the font in the dropdown menus? Not able to bold either than i am assuming..

Is there a way to block certain lines in the dropdown so they cannot be selected? EG:  if my dropdown contains (1,1a,1b,1c, 2,2a,2b,2c, 3,3a,3b,3c) can i make it so the 1,2,3 cannot be selected, i would need to select one with the a,b, or c.

My dropdowns have headers that should not be selected.

I hope this makes sense.....
Please let me know if you have any ideas Gulshan!
Much appreciated

Hi Kris,

Currently excel doesn't allow you to block off certain lines from dropdown. However, there is another solution to it.
You can atleast setup conditional formatting on the cells, so if the user selects the headers, that cell would become red (or whatever formatting you decide). That way, you can ensure that if someone selects a header, it will be caught.

Let me know if this helps.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India