Hello!  I have a workbook that contains two worksheets.  When I color a cell with a person's name in it on the first worksheet I would like the color to automatically transfer to the person's name on the second worksheet.  For example, on the first worksheet I have cell A1 with a person's name with background colored red, on the second worksheet I have cell A1 as ='Sheet1'!A1, but the color doesn't move with it.  Thank you for your time.

Changing the color doesn't trigger any "event" which would be able to copy the color automatically. You'd need a macro which you execute which would copy the color. And with every color change you make, you'd have to rerun the macro. So there's nothing automatic about it. If this approach is OK, let me know and I'll write the macro - however, in that case, I'd like to know in which columns the names are in both sheets.
Just thought of another approach, which is to copy over the colors from sheet1 whenever sheet2 is activated. But I'd still need to know where the names are.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at http://www.thumbtack.com/ny/new-york/excel-training/

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks