Excel/Conditional formatting + statement

The best way to ask my question is through an example.

I have a sheet with a table of 3 persons (A1, B1, C1) and their lot assignments. Each person receives 7 lots. A1's lots appear right underneath him (A2 to A8), then B1's (B2 to B8), and C1's (C2 to C8).

i would like to create another table where the lot numbers in ascending order can be shown. at the same time, i would like to apply a conditional statement to the desired lot number to have the cell's background color change according to their corresponding person.

i really hope you could give me an insight for this. if there is already a solution for this, please kindly show me where i could find them. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Assume the values in A2:C8 are all numbers.  

in Say G5 put in this formula

then drag fill it down to G26

That should give you your sequential list.

Assuming you want the conditional formatting applied to this table, then:

Now you can set up conditional formatting.  Select G5 to G26 with G5 as the active Cell.

then put in conditions like

=countif($A$2:$A$8,$G5)>0  for the format set the color for A1

=countif($B$2:$B$8,$G5)>0  for the format set the color for B1

=countif($C$2:$C$8,$G5)>0  for the format set the color for C1

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.