Excel/Contract Management Spreadsheet

Question
Tom -

I have Excel 2010 and am attempting to create a spreadsheet that will help me manage contracts.  Column S contains the terms New Contract, Exercise Option,or Other. Column R contains the terms T4, BPA, and Transfer.  Basically here is what I need the formula to do:
Look at Column S for the term "Exercise Option" - if it finds it then return "N/A".
Look at Column S for the term "New Contract" - it looks at the Column R terms.
If it finds T4 then it subtracts Column Z minus 48.
If it finds BPA then it subtracts Column Z minus 38.
If it finds Transfer then it subtracts Column Z minus 7.

I have tried to work through this many times with no success.  Many thanks.

Answer

assume the formula is in row 2

so in row 2 in whatever column you want the formula to be you would have

=IF(S2="Exercise Option",NA(),IF(S2="New Contract",IF(R2="T4",Z2-48,IF(R2="BPA",Z2-38,IF(R2="Transfer",Z2-7,"No Terms"))),""))

that does what you describe as I understand what you want.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy