Excel/copying files

Hi there

I am trying to copy about a dozen files into one file.  I highlight the file, CTRL + C, go to the target file CTRL P and nothing happens. (The clipboard is empty it says. Tried again, this time I highlighted the top A1  - now I get a message that I can only paste into the A1 cell. However, when I do this, it will copy on the existing data that I already have and want to save and delete at the same time the existing data! How can I copy into the existing file that already has some data on it?  I was told about the VBA process but it seems to complex to me.  I am comfortable with copy and paste ...  

Please explain step by step,   This Excel 2010

Thanks you.   Gabe

Hi Gabe,

This should work out of the box, so something is interfering.

1. Open both files
2. Select the cells you want to copy. Do not select all cells of the worksheet, otherwise you can only paste in cell A1, because otherwise the paste area is too small
3. Hit control+c
4. Go to the other workbook (control+tab kay)
5. Select the top-left cell where the paste must start
6. Hit control+v

If this fails, probably one of the workbooks (or an add-in) has a macro that runs when you switch to a different workbook and zaps the clipboard. Try opening both files whilst holding down the shift key so macro's will not run.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jan Karel Pieterse

Excel and Excel/VBA questions

Excel MVP

Self employed Excel developer

Bachelor in Chemical Engineering

Microsoft MVP award since 2002

Shell, Fortis bank, ABN-AMRO bank, Morgan Stanley, ...