Excel/Deducting 30 minute breaks from a schedule

Question
Richard,

I have built a spreadsheet to calcuate scheduled hours based on in and out times. My managers schedule an extra 30 minutes to account for lunch breaks. Thus total hours worked are usually 2.5 hours more than actual per employee, per week for five shifts. How can I adjust the toal or the calculation of the total to deduct 30 minutes if the shift is over 6 hours long?

Thanks

Howard

Answer
Howard

You can use an IF formula that deducts a half hour IF the total of a shift is greater than 6 hrs.
something like this--

(+B3-A3)*24+IF((+B3-A3)*24>6,-0.5,0)

The first part of the formula is the calculation of the hours assuming that B3 is when clocked out and A3 is when clocked in.  So when out minus when in produces a fraction of a day this multiplied by 24hours gives you the hours worked.  The second part of the formula, the IF part, says if the result of the first formula is greater than 6 hours then subtract .5 and if its not greater, then 0.

Your formula to calculate hours is prolly different that what I have given you but you should get the idea and be able to incorporate the IF formula into what you have.

Hope this works for you

Richard
Florida
USA

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts