Excel/Excel 2007

Question
QUESTION: I have locked and protected cells those should be
locked e.g G4 to AM4.

But I notice cells D4 to F4 are also locked?

I tried my best but still I am surprised.with this behaviour.

Please help.

Thank you  very much.

ANSWER: Jay -

All cells are locked, by default. So I am guessing you are unlocking all the cells, and relocking only the ones you want locked. Then somehow, these other cells are becoming re-locked (or they never unlocked).

I'm afraid I do not know exactly where the error is occurring. If you are being careful to only select those you want to lock, then there is some sort of glitch.

I recommend you either leave all cells as they are (locked) and then UNlock those you want, or..reinstall the program and hope that fixes the glitch.

Wish I could be more help - Andrea

QUESTION: Andrea -

First I want to thanks for your efforts to help me. I appreciate that.

Yes

I think so; because when I tried on another worksheet it worked perfectly. But I am unable to "reverse engineer" the issue from the good to the bad work sheet.

Thanks. Good idea. I thought of that. But too many cells to unlock. Still let me try.

Wish I could be more help - Andrea

Thank you once again.
Have a nice weekend.

ANSWER: Jay -

You mentioned that this is a particular sheet that is having this problem, that you do not see this problem happening in the other sheets of the workbook. You may need to move all of this information (sans formatting) to another sheet, and delete this sheet. It's work, and it's a pain, but in my experience (and others at my work) sometimes a sheet will get a glitch that you cannot explain, and it takes more work to find a solution for than to just move on.

I'm afraid I do not have another solution for this problem. Sorry - Andrea

QUESTION: Andrea,

Thanks for continued interest to provide solution.

Instead of what you have suggested, I tried in a new worksheet, locking only some cells and protecting the worksheet. After this when I tried to enter some data in other cells in the worksheet, it says it is locked!

Can you please try this in your PC and give me your results? Just lock some cells + protect the WS. Pl enter some data in other cells in this worksheet. If it works for you then may be I have to uninstall and reinstall my Excel 2007.

Thanks for your time.

With best wishes,
Jay, Singapore

Answer
Jay - I'm not getting the results you are getting. It appears more and more like this is a software problem.

Here are the steps I take:

With a new spreadsheet, I select all cells [CTRL+A]
rt click background
choose Format Cells
select Protection tab
uncheck the Lock box
OK

select some cells
rt click in the selection
choose Format Cells
select Protection tab
check the Lock box
OK

choose Review tab
Protect Sheet btn
go with the defaults, no password (makes it easier to test)

You can try these steps, but if they do not work for you something could have happened to the program. - Andrea
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Andrea Lynch