Hi, I have found your answers very informative and wondered if you can help with the following.  I would like to transfer data between worksheets and I have read your reply to an earlier question.  However what I specifically would like is to say is: If value = x please display in cell Y in worksheet Z.  So, I am currently entering my expenses on to an Excel worksheet.  It would be great if stock (books, DVDs etc) expenses could be displayed in one column on another worksheet and fixtures and fittings in another column on this worksheet.  I had thought of using a single letter to identify what the expense is such as "b" for book for example. So that if in one cell there is a "b", the amount in the adjacent cell should be posted in a column on another worksheet.  Sounds a bit complicated though now that I write this down.  Many thanks in advance.
With kindest regards
Noel Rasmussen
Frensham Heights library
Surrey  GU10 4EA

You can do it with an IF formula.  Here is what it might look like---

Lets assume that in sheet 1 column D you have the amounts and in column C you have your code, b= books f= fixtures, etc, etc.

The formula in sheet 2 for the Books column would look like this--

The formula for the Fixtures column would look like this--

As you can see the codes can be changed and the formulas put in the  columns that are appropriate for your application.

Of course these formulas maybe copied down and with the absolute referencing they will change appropriately.

Hope this works for you.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant