Excel/Excel, Find xth Character

Question
Digit Calc
Digit Calc  
I have 1AB23XVC1DB123456.  Trying to extrapolate the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc character.  From there I want to do an IF statement to see if the 1st cell is a number then just copy the number, if not and it is a letter then do a vlookup to see what the letter is equal to (i.e: If the value in A1 is 1, then it is 1 but if the value in B1 is A, then do a vlookup to see an equivalent numeric value (i.e.: A = 5)).  From there I do a product of the assigned value x some weighted value.

I was doing =MID($C$3,D1,1) where D1...D16 are the xth position. The problem is in the 4th position or any positon, it could be a letter or number and my if statement was coming out with a #N/A value so the product would not work.

Answer
Hi Allan,

Thanks for sending your question on my way.

I request you to attach a sample workbook (in anywhere in the online) with expected output so that I can able to understand your data and suggest an exact formula for you.

---

Sixthsense
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Sixthsense