Excel/Excel Formula

Question
I have a medical plan that requires the covered person to meet a deductible at which point the co-insurance kicks in. It could kick in in the middle of a service or after the service is rendered. For example, the deductible is $500 and then the co-insurance is 80/20 where 20% is for the covered person. If I have the first billing at $450 and the second billing is $100 then the co-insurance would kick in for the amount over $500 or $50 so the amount would be $10 (20% x 50) due by the covered person. Finally, the third billing is $200 so the full amount would be subject to co-insurance or $40 (20% x 200).

Can this be written in one formula? Is so how? I tried some conditional statements but that left me with conflicts or the wrong answer.

Thanks,

Chris

Answer
Chris:

It all kind of depends on how you want to set up your spreadsheet, but I set one up as follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5jydbtxsyjv531/coinsurance.xlsx

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Also, please remember to donate if this answers your question.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Nathan