Excel/Excel VBA _ Worksheet Calculate

Question
Tom,

I have not worked with VB for years so I am a bit rusty. I am trying to write simple code to open a message box if a 4 or 5 is entered in a cell within a specific range of cells. Here is what I have so far:

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Dim target As Range
Set target = Sheet1.Range("A1:L60")
   If target = 4 Then
       MsgBox "Ensure this person meets the requirements to be ranked a 4"
   Else
       If target = 5 Then
   MsgBox "Ensure this person meets the requirements to be ranked a 5"
       End If
   End If

End Sub

Right now I am getting type mismatch error 13 in my first If statement. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Jim

Answer
James,

Assuming someone will physically type in the number then the change event would be the the event to use.  It is fired whenever a cell is edited.  It will work against the sheet that contains the code - the code should be placed in the sheet module of that (right click on the sheet tab and select view code).

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim r as Range
set r = me.Range("A1:L60")
if target.count > 1 then exit sub
if not intersect(r, target) is nothing then
  If target = 4 Then
  ElseIf target = 5 Then
  End If
End if
End Sub

In a sheet module, the predefined sheet reference "me" refers to the sheet that owns the code.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy