Excel/looking up information if

Question
Hi Tom

I have two worksheets.  Worksheet A contains data worksheet B is blank.  I would like cell A1 in worksheet A to be populated with information from cell A1 in worksheet B be as long as cell A1 in worksheet A is empty.  If it is not empty I would like the next cell in worksheet A (ie cell A2) to be populated.

Is this possible?

Answer
Christopher Mitchell,

If you wanted to use intentional circular references, you might be able to craft something like that.  Each cell would have to be populated by a formula.  As you describe it, both A1 and A2 would contain the same value.  If the value in A1 of sheet2 will be updated and you want to accumulate values, that would be more complex, but possible using circular references.

Your countryman, Stephen Bullen has example files that illustrate this.
go to
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/excel/default.htm
and look in the worksheet function section (second section) and I believe the first two or three example files are related to this type of thing.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy